Surgical Technician - CC
Blanding Moab Price
The Surgical Technician Program is a certificate program that can be completed in one year in addition to one semester of prerequisites and an externship of a minimum of 120 surgical cases following didactic training. The program prepares and trains individuals for a career in surgical technology. Surgical Technicians assist in operations under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses and other surgical personnel. Upon the successful completion of coursework, students receive a certificate of completion from Utah State University. At that time students are eligible to submit an application and if accepted, sit for the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) certification examination. Graduates of accredited surgical technician programs are eligible to sit for the NBSTSA certification exam to become certified surgical technologists (CST).
A GPA of 3.0 is required for admission into the Surgical Technician (ST) Program. Throughout the Surgical Technician Program, the student must complete coursework at a B grade or higher to meet USU Surgical Technician Program standard guidelines.
Download the SURG application packet for the location you wish to attend and follow the instructions to apply for the program.
- See packets for deadlines
Students interested in the Surgical Technician Program should visit with an advisor prior to registration.
Background checks, and drug screen results are now processed online through the CastleBranch Compliance Tracking System. Students are required to pay a fee for this service. Vaccination records, the CPR requirement and a CNA Certificate of Completion must be attached to the application. All information must be on file at the campus the student is attending. Students are advised to keep a copy of all records.
Drug screens are required. Contact your program's location for details.
The following courses are required prior to admission to the Surgical Technician (ST) Program:
- ENGL 1010 - Introduction to Writing: Academic Prose (CL1) 3
- NURS 1008 - Medical Terminology 2
- BIOL 2060 - Microbiology 4
- STAT 1045 - Introduction to Statistics with Elements of Algebra (QL) 5 or
- MATH 1050 - College Algebra (QL) 4
Students may take available courses during high school by following the Concurrent Enrollment Pathway if concurrent enrollment procedures are followed.
The following courses are required for the Surgical Technician Certificate of Completion:
- SURG 1030 - Surgical Technology I 6
- SURG 1035 - Surgical Technology I Lab 4
- SURG 1600 - Surgical Technology Clinical Comp I 2
- HEAL 1500 - Anatomy & Physiology 3
- SURG 1040 - Surgical Technology II 6
- SURG 1045 - Surgical Technology II Lab 2
- SURG 1700 - Surgical Technology Clinical Comp II 4
- SURG 1050 - Surgical Technology III 6
- SURG 1055 - Surgical Technology III Lab 2
- SURG 1800 - Surgical Technology Clinical Comp III 6
- SURG 1060 - Surgical Technology IV 6
- SURG 1065 - Surgical Technology IV Lab 2
- SURG 1900 - Surgical Technology Clinical Comp IV 6